When you have a backed-up drain, the first thing a good plumbing service does is determine the source of the problem, analyze its causes, and then apply the proper remedy. Plumbing Nerds, which serves Cape Coral and nearby cities, has the expertise and the equipment to get to the bottom of any clog so that your drains run clear.
There are five points in your home where clogs most commonly occur:
- Main sewer line: Most often, the line becomes infiltrated with tree roots in search of water. The roots take advantage of any small crack in the line and can grow so big that they damage the line.
- Lateral sewer line: These lines that run from your drains to the main city-owned sewer line can become clogged with toilet paper and wipes, as well as with tree toots.
- Kitchen sink line: Grease, organic buildup, and ground up food from the garbage disposal are the most common causes for blockages in kitchen sink lines.
- Laundry lines: Lint and soap scum commonly block laundry lines.
- Shower, tub, and lavatory lines: Hair and soap scum lead to blocks in sinks and shower drains.
Professional Approaches To Drain Cleaning
While you as homeowner might reach for over the counter drain cleaners, this approach is not only ill-advised, but may not solve the problem for specific types of clogs. It can also ruin your pipes over time.
When a plumber faces a clog, they may first use a sewer camera to determine the location and extent of the blockage. With this information at hand, they may use a mechanical auger to cut through tree roots or residue or clear the line with the water pressure of a hydro jetter. In the worst case, the plumber may have to replace the pipes, especially if they are cracked or broken.
After removing tree roots, they will professionally treat the lines with chemicals such as copper sulfate crystals that block roots from coming into the pipe or with foaming agents such as RootX that destroy the roots from inside the pipe.
Advice From Your Plumbing Service For Clean Drains
To prevent future clogs, the professionals may take a series of steps or suggest things you can do.
- To keep lines clear of sewerage and tree roots, call your plumber every few years to snake out the main line to prevent blockage; the average cost is far less than clearing a major clog that might occur. Septic lines need to be pumped out every three to five years.
- To minimize blockages in the kitchen sink lines, you should avoid pouring grease down the drains or washing away small food scraps. Grease tends to solidify and trap food, which can make the drain impassable.
- To keep drains free of hair, use small mesh screens to collect it and prevent it from moving into the drain.
- You can fight soap scum buildup by pouring boiling water, baking soda, or ammonia down the drain.
When you need a drain cleaning service, call Plumbing Nerds at 239.471.7557 or schedule an appointment online. We provide routine and 24/7 emergency service to residential and commercial customers.