Running a business successfully means managing a lot of moving parts, and that includes making sure you have functional bathrooms for your employees and clientele alike. You’re probably familiar with the problems that can arise with your plumbing at home, but commercial plumbing is a bit different. These are the five most common problems that crop up in public restrooms.
- Leaky Faucets: You know the potential for wasted water when your faucets at home spring a leak. Imagine how much bigger that problem is in a commercial faucet! You could be looking at thousands of gallons of wasted water per year – not to mention the liability issues if you end up with puddles on the floor that people could slip on.
- Bad Smells: No one expects a public restroom to smell like roses, but it shouldn’t reek of sewage either. If you and your customers are noticing a bad odor, this could mean the sewer line is backed up. Get it checked out right away!
- Broken Toilets: Public toilets are used much more frequently than the ones in people’s homes, meaning that they wear out much faster. Broken handles can be avoided by replacing them with motion sensors or buttons, but you could still end up with a flapper that won’t seal properly or other internal parts failing. Additionally, customers might flush some things down the toilets that don’t belong there, leading to clogs and even floods. Check your toilets regularly to make sure everything is in working order.
- Blocked Drains: You’d be surprised at what ends up in the sinks in a commercial bathroom. Paper towels, toilet paper, bits of food, and cigarette butts can all build up and cause the drains to clog. This leads to unhappy customers who have to wash their hands in a filthy, clogged sink.
- Incorrect Water Temperature: Just like at home, it’s important to keep the hot water tank at your business maintained correctly. If the hot water is slow to appear, take a look and make sure the tank is working correctly. Also make sure it’s set to the right temperature so your customers don’t get scalded.
How To Prevent Plumbing Problems In Public Bathrooms
As with any business-related problem, prevention is the key. Set up a schedule to have your bathrooms checked out regularly so that any issues can be fixed before they cause major damage. Some things to check include:
- Toilets: Do they flush properly? Do the flappers create a seal?
- Sinks: Do they drain efficiently? Is there any debris in them?
- Faucets: Any drips or puddles?
Call The Plumbing Nerds To Keep Your Public Bathrooms In Top Condition
Whether you have a problem that needs fixing or you’d like the experts to keep an eye on things, the Plumbing Nerds are up to the challenge. You can schedule an appointment on our website for a consultation or give us a call at 239.288.0210 to get started.