As we’ve discussed here before, there are plenty of plumbing jobs that can be done by the average homeowner. However, there are plenty of others that should only be tackled by the pros! Not only do we have extensive training and education, but we also carry some very specialized tools that the typical homeowner doesn’t usually have on hand.
So what do plumbers carry in their toolboxes? Some of our equipment is the same as what you probably have in your own toolbox; other items are unique to our trade.
Basic plumbing tools
There are certain items that are essential to any well-stocked toolbox, and a plumber’s kit is no different. These are the basic items we always carry with us:
- Tape measure
- Allen keys
- Hand saw
There are plenty of jobs for which these might be the only tools we need. However, for big jobs we break out the big tools!
Specialized plumbing tools and their uses
When you call in the experts to solve a plumbing problem, you expect them to have the right tools for the job. That’s why we carry plenty of specialized equipment with us so that we can fix the problem correctly on the first try. These are items that you won’t find in average toolbox. Like most tradespeople, we plumbers treat our tools like treasure. Here are some of the things you’ll find in the average plumber’s vehicle:
- Hand augur: Also known as a plumber’s snake, this is what we use to break up and remove deep-set clogs that a plunger can’t reach. We also have a motorized version for especially stubborn clogs as well as a jetter that blasts away clogs using pressurized water.
- Pipe cutter: These machines come in various sizes to cut and re-thread any size of piping.
- Basin wrench: This is a specialized tool that’s perfect for getting into tight spaces to install or remove basins – hence the name! It’s also great for kitchen faucets and other tasks where there isn’t much room to maneuver.
- Propane torch: We carry these torches with us so that we can solder copper pipes and new fittings. Along with the torch, we bring fire-resistant fabric to protect the surrounding area from any stray sparks.
- Safety equipment: No tradesperson’s kit is complete without the necessary personal protective equipment, or PPE. For plumbers, that includes gloves, a hard hat, goggles, sturdy work boots, and a first-aid kit with plenty of anti-bacterial hand sanitizer and wipes.
The Plumber Nerds are equipped to do the job right every time
Part of being proudly nerdy about plumbing means having the right tools for every job, every time. All of us here at Plumbing Nerds make sure we have the right equipment on hand before we head out to a job. To find out what our well-equipped plumbers can do for you, just send us a message through our website or call 239.288.0210.